Is my haircut any good?

Anything related to nystagmus that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum Rules before posting

Is my haircut any good?

Postby James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm

This topic is to discuss the blog post entitled 'Is my haircut any good?'.
James
Site Admin

Re: Is my haircut any good?

Postby adam_13_cato » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Erm, to be honest, I trust my hairdresser not to mess it up, so as long as it sorta looks ok, I don't mind that I may or may not be able to see how detailed it is...

P.S. I need to make it clear that I was coerced into this by James :-P
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I don't care
adam_13_cato
has nystagmus

Postby MrsEmmaCato » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:07 pm

I have never had a problem with getting my hair cut, but I have similar when I get my ears pierced. I have had my ears pierced 4 times (5 piercings) all done at different places. Every time they have put a dot of pen on my ear and I'm asked to look in the mirror and see if it is the right place... I can never see the dot! One of my ear piercings is in totally the wrong place, and gets sore and limits what earrings I can wear n I have no idea of they did it on the dot and its my fault coz I told them it was ok, or if he went way off the dot n it is his fault...

It is rather annoying not being able to see what you need to in mirrors!
Formerly known as: emmahallett
MrsEmmaCato
has nystagmus

Postby William » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Observations at the barbershop for me:

I don't run into the problem necessarily as strongly as the blog post suggests, but with normal vision I would have more confidence in social situations to speak out against haircuts I am dissatisfied with.

Another thing:

I have a knot in the back center of my skull and that is the most annoying thing at the barbershop. Different and new barbers don't know it's there and mercilessly run over it with their tools and it irks the hell out of me because it tends to be painful. Anyone else have a knot back there? I believe some people have it. (I was born with it).
William
has nystagmus

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Hmm, yes, haircuts. I never really thought much about the view in the mirrors I have to admit. I think I was just satisfied that the general shape was acceptable. My wife has cut my hair for many years now and what little I have left I generally keep short and grey. :)

There was a time in my twenties when my brother-in-law talked me into going to one of the then, new, Unisex hairdressers and although I couldn’t see much detail, I could tell by the shape of the finished style in the mirror that I was in trouble (Elvis Presley/Danny La Rue) but I was too embarrassed to say anything. My wife and a couple of my friends fell about laughing when they saw me. I ended up the same day in my regular barbers and had a short back and sides.

I suppose you could bite the bullet and ask to sit closer to the mirror or maybe take a small hand mirror with you. Best answer has to be yours James, go to the same hairdresser every time so you know roughly what you’ll get.

This has to be a question more for the ladies I would have thought, judging by the importance my wife and daughter place on their hairstyles.
Giving up smoking, drinking, and eating all those fatty foods doesn’t actually make you live longer – it just feels like it.
Larry

Postby James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

As I left the hairdresser I was just curious to hear other people's takes on this. I suspected that it didn't bother most people and it shouldn't. None-the-less, it obviously has some impact on our confidence and initial reaction whilst in the hairdressers as Adam eludes to. Emma also highlights a good point there about ear piercings and how they could have the potential to go wrong. I guess a solution would be to take a friend with you!
James
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 am

I've never really given this much thought. I can never really see that well enough either, but I thought it was just me :D
I have congenital idiopathic nystagmus but wasn't diagnosed until I was 7. I am the only person I know with nystagmus!
Lou
has nystagmus

Postby Larry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

On the subject of hair, I’ve had a moustache since the mid seventies but as it was getting lighter and whiter, I decided to shave it off last week. Because my face is somewhat weathered, the skin on my top lip now shows up slightly paler and when I see my reflection from a distance, it looks like I still have a white moustache :) – roll on the summer and a bit of sunbathing.

Might have to think about updating my avatar.
Giving up smoking, drinking, and eating all those fatty foods doesn’t actually make you live longer – it just feels like it.
Larry

Postby tony dunn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes I could never see when they showed you in the mirror becus I didn"t have my glasses on. I now just use the hairdresser who comes to my home so I trust em.
tony dunn
has nystagmus

Postby James » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

I guess this just shows that once we have one haircut that we're happy with, we tend to use the same person/people again and again... something about comfort-zones I guess!
James
Site Admin

Postby Mike H » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Totally agree re: comfort zones. Always nodded my head when shown the mirror and then hoped for the best. Hasn't been much hair to worry about since my 30s anyway. However, since I've had the Kestenbaum/tenotomy I am more relaxed in the chair as I can spend 10 whole minutes admiring my new central gaze AND I can focus on the mirror WAY better than I was ever able to do so before.

Ahem, make that 5 minutes... tops :)

Mike
Mike H
has nystagmus

Postby James » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Ha, ha. Lack of hair is a worry! I'll happily lose it for vision though. I keep going back to the same hairdresser in London; I know they are not great at cutting my hair, but I know they're not terrible. Comfort zone? I think so!
James
Site Admin

Postby adam26 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:12 pm

for years i've been going to the same barbers, got used to them, and they've got used to me, waiting for me to put my glasses back on so i can see the back of my head in the mirror when they've finished cutting my hair, anyway, i went up last thursday (without my glasses), the only time in about 10 years, and when i got home after having my hair cut, and i put my glasses on, they hadn't taken my side boards off, nor squared my neck, so i had to go back to the barbers and ask them to finish it off how i wanted. Typical innit, the one and only time i went without my specs, and they mess it up
adam26
has nystagmus

Postby Dayle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I used to just agree and nod my head! Not knowing if they had cut my hair as to how I wanted. Then I found a hairdresser who I really liked and she was brilliant and know that I couldn't see the mirror but sadly now she had stopped hat dressing and I tend to take the mrs with me whenever I tend to he my hair cut now!
Dayle
has nystagmus

Return to General Comments